Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

You know, there is so much we all take for granted. So much. While I was in Africa I really had the chance to get a better grasp on how much I take for granted. When you go to Mexico you see people living in shacks and next-to-nothing houses. The people still live in a place you can call a home, but in Africa there is a major portion of the population that lives on the streets and literally fight for food. I havnt shared this with a whole lot of people since Ive been back; while I was there I saw a man get murdered. We were on our way back from one of the nicest places to eat in Liberia. The restaurant and food was actually really good and made me feel like I was back in the States. Anyway, on the way back we saw a man carrying groceries home for his family. He had two bags under each arm. The man was weaving in and out of the crowd and finally he got to the end of the market. A man came running out of no where in the crowd. I noticed he was carrying something in his hand and I realized it was a brick, before I could even react the man smashed it into the man carrying the groceries head. His head completly split open and started to gush blood. There was absolutely nothing we could do for the man because immediately he was swarmed and people took his food. The man died on the side of the road bleeding out because he had food.

This tragedy really puts into perspective how much we Americans take for granted. We have a roof over heads, food to eat when we want, education, family, friends, the freedom to speak out when we've been wronged, the freedom to vote, we have so much. There is so much we take for granted it sickens me. I used to just be like, "Yeah I do have alot," but then do nothing about it. Im not saying we should go give to the poor or needy but just take a minute or two and reflect on just how good God has been to us. This is something Ive come to realize lately and have been working on. I'll tell you what Im thankful for:

- God - Food
- Church - Education
- Family - Democracy
- Community - Freedom
- Home - Being an American
- Friends - Just plain Life

I ask you now...What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

J.J. said...

ur such a great writer wes!
im thankful for YOU!!!

I know i had a happy thanksgiving!

luv ur lil sista...

Unknown said...

Wes, Your comments are very insightful and my prayer is that others in this country and around the world will come to realize that they should be thankful for every breath that they take!
I am thankful for God's Grace, Mercy, & Peace and for guiding and blessing me and my family with health, safety and provision. Also for God's bringing all 12 of us to accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour and allowing us to walk closely with Him each day.
May God richly bless you at Timberline Bible College in order for you to bless others. Love, Papa