Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Michael Phelps

I am in complete awe of what Michael Phelps is doing in Beijing. After taking the gold in the 200 M Breststroke and swimming a WR leg in the 4X200 Men Freestyle relay and helping shatter the world record by almost 5 Michael Phelps is now the greatest Olympian of all time. No one is on the same level as him and I think it is safe to say no one ever will. He is only 23 which means in 4 years he will be 27 and still competing. I cant fathom is gold total when all is said and done...16, 18, 20??? Who know. I said up until 3:30 AM to watch him and let me tell you it was worth it. Michael Phelps is a living legend. Who has ever heard of 11 gold medals in two Olympic Games?! And hes not done. I have my money on him to win all 8. There is just something about him. I dont think he will let up until he has 8 golds around him. You know someone is doing something special when the best athletes from around the world are showing up to your races to see you perform. I watched Michael Phelps reaction after he won #10 and it was almost as if he had won a regular race back in high school. No significant reaction whatsoever. Sitting here watching him dominant the pool makes me proud to be an American. Watching Lezak catch the fastest freestyler to carry the US to the gold makes me proud to be an American. And watching the passion of the men after winnning both relays makes me proud to be an American. We all know he is doing something special in Beijing but I dont think anyone will know the true magnitude until years from now. Say good bye to Spitz, Lewis, Owens, Johnson and say hello to the greatest Olympian of all time: Michael Phelps.

4 comments:

Dick Cummings said...

Wes, It is amazing for one person to be able to dominate the Olympic swimming events! Michael Phelps does make it look easy, however spending 5 hours training in the pool each day for the last 4 years is hard work!
God has truly blessed him with the physical abilities and Michael has been able to use them to focus, train, and perform in all 8 swimming events in his quest for Gold. Other swimmers may not have had the courage to set such high goals!
"Keep on keeping on" aboard the Africa Mercy and we will look forward to your return home.
Praying for you, Papa

John W said...

Wes ... what makes me proud to be American is having a young man like you representing our country and the Lord on board a ship filled with people from many nations. To have them see your faithful, caring spirit as you help to bring "mercy" to people who are the poorest of the poor is a real blessing to me. You have a reward greater than gold waiting for you in heaven. Keep up the great work!
John Williamson (Ambassador)

Cheri said...

I agree -- he makes it seem so effortless!

franknbette said...

Hi Wes. We've enjoyed reading your blog and just rec'd an email from your Dad you will be home Monday night. Bet there's some pretty excited people at your house! You've made them proud as you've laid treasures up in heaven. Finish well.
We'll look forward to hearing more about your adventure and seeing pictures.
We'll be praying for you as you travel.
Frank and Bette Norton