Thursday, July 17, 2008

7.17.08

So here I sit. On the eve of the release of The Dark Night. Technically I could go get a pirated copy off the street for 50 Liberty (Liberian Dollar) or just under $1 USD. But I cant do that. I have to experience it on the big screen.
Oh man, Ive already been here 11 days! Time flies. I get home exactly 3 weeks from today. I'm excited but there is still so much for me to do. I forgot to mention in the Indiana Jones entry that I saw quite a handful of malnourished children and babies. Not a sight for the weak minded. It was tough for me to handle let me tell you. Made me think about just how important getting fed everyday as an infant is and having the right nutrition around to grow strong. Saturday, I head to an orphanage called Grand Bassa. Its going to be one heck of an experience.
Not much has happened since I got back from the whole jungle fiasco. The other night when the All-Star Game was on I stayed up until just after 4:30am to watch it. It started about 12:45am Liberia time. I went to bed just after the 12th inning was finished when Nate McLouth threw out Dioner Navarro to save the game (at least until the AL took it in the 15th). Pretty boring game but it was the only Live baseball Ive had in weeks. Gosh I take baseball for granted. Everyday I realize something little I take for granted. Tiny stuff you wouldnt even think about. Like soap or butter or cinabons. Haha.
Ok so since Im being made fun of because about the whole fabric thing (*cough* Mrs. Norton) let me explain that. On Monday I was taken to the market by my older sisters (they treat me like their little bro, just a tad annoying but its ususally fun) and we all bought African fabric. The fabric is made by Liberians in their villages and then sold at Water Street Market for $2.50 per lapa. A lapa is an amount of cloth. I took the cloth I bought to a tailor across the street from the port and Im having 2 nice dress shirts made from it for $10 a piece or 620 Liberty. There you go, now no more laughing at me.
Ok so now thats explained, Im going to give you a little history lesson. After the American Civil War was over. The US government deported alot of African slaves to Liberia. I cant remember the number but it was like half a million former slaves I believe. The US dropped them off here on the coast of Liberia. As a result there is alot of American influence here. The capitol of Liberi, Monrovia, is named after James Monroe a US president. You can also see the influence in the countries name itself. There is a town called New Georgia after the state of Georgia. Its not just the name of the cities. The only music they know comes from the US .There favorites are Akon, T-Pain, Alicia Keys, Kanye West and Chris Brown. My partner I work with sings songs I never wouldve guessed he knew. Since I know he does I blast my iPod so we both can hear it. Its funny cause people will walk by and we're rockin out to like Chris Brown or Alicia Keys. Its hilarious. So thats just a little taste of the culture here. Im not done, I just wanted to give you a taste.

8 comments:

ayates said...

I'm impressed with the history lesson. Thanks for sharing. Learn something new every day.

I will look forward to seeing the shirts. In Mrs. Norton's defense.....I thought it sounded funny too.

Sounds like all is still going well for you. Sounds like everyday is an adventure and that you are learning so much about your surroundings and about yourself.

Keep up the good work!!!!
Love, Mrs. Yates

Lee Ann Jackson (Ambassador) said...

Hey Wes,

GREAT blogging bud! Thanks for taking the time write it! We continue to pray for you--almost daily. It's so exciting to read about how God is using the trip already to impact you!

Lee Ann Jackson and Family
(Go Bruins!)

Jamilyn said...

I like your defense speech! I have to say i'm looking forward to seeing the shirts as well. I'm upset that i dont get to read your blogs while i'm @ hume but that gives me alot to catch up on when i get home. God will be changing both of our lives...and dont worry about me. Campbell has my back! haha.

And those three weeks will come pretty fast but you wont want to leave because of how much you've bin through there. I love you and miss you!

JJ

Fran Cummings said...

Good evening #1 grandson...love hearing all your news and new experiences you are having. I agree with Mrs.Yates on the history lesson...I'm impressed, and even I did not know that!
We are having a "Day of Mourning" in the U.S. since one of Pres Bush's press sec'ty commentator's has gone to be with JESUS...you probably heard it too ...he is Tony Snow, who died of cancer..he was a devoted Christian man to his family (just like your dad)and he loved his country (like we all do)! I bet you'll be ready to eat a good hamburger and some fries, when you come back into the U.S on your next flight home, at an airport! Usually people that leave our country, to go overseas say that, when thry come home!Although McDonald's are everywhere now!!
We're stil praying for you and your witness to HIM, to glorify what God is doing there and in the lives of all of you who are serving on the Africa Mercy!!
We are counting the days for your return also!
God Bless and we send our love!! XO Grama Fran (tailor made shirts, eh) Snazzy!

Dick Cummings said...

Wes, the many different experiences that you are going through is certainly providing you with the opportunity of communicating with us in "word pictures". During the next 3 weeks my prayers will be for God to continue providing you with experiences that will touch your heart. Your postings are a great step in your desire to go into journalism. Praying for you, Papa

John W said...

Hi Wes: Thanks so much for the history lesson. Absolutely fascinating! And thanks for the reminder of those less fortunate that we. We DO take so much for granted. I think if we could all see what you are experiencing, we'd all be in culture shock. God bless you and keep the updates coming! We pray.
John Williamson

Cheri said...

I loved your update Wes. I was thinking of you a lot last night when Mr. Sains took RJ and a few friends to the midnite showing of The Dark Knight. I know how much you LOVE the midnite show. They even wore batman costumes. They didn't get home 'til 4 am & when I woke RJ up at 9:30, his first words were, "that movie was epic". He can't wait to see it again, so you can count on one person who'll go with you when you get home.

The history lesson rocked -- maybe that's your calling? Hmmm...just something to think about.

Keep going strong - we're so proud of you! Love -- Mrs. Sains

Anonymous said...

three more weeks for you.

two more weeks for me.

time flies huh. Sounds like you are having some amazing adventures. As for me, throwing cookie dough, pizza dough, and uneaten hot dogs has never been so fun. Enjoy my next letter. lol.