Monday, July 21, 2008

Grand Bassa & ANDP

This is place is amazing. The more time I spend here the more I enjoy myself. On Saturday I went to an orphanage in Grand Bassa, about 2 1/2 hours from the ship. We didnt do much there except love on the kids and villagers. We played games with them, swam with them, sang with them, basically lived life with them for a day. My friend from the Dominican Republic (Juan) and I were the fun guys. We were the ones who made the kids laugh and let them use us as a jungle gym. We skipped down to the river with them, did stadium chants and taught them fun games. It didnt take long for us to get worn out so we had to turn it over to the girls. They gave them pictures to color, sang bible school songs and taugh them bible stories. We stayed probably about 5 hours with them. Oh yeah, on the way to the village we passed the Firestone Headquaters. We were able to see how they get the rubber to make the tires. It was cool. Well that was Saturday.
Sunday I went to a church called Obijei (O-bee-jay). It was the coolest church service Id ever been a part of. They ''wing it''. Haha. The church service is structured but you still never know what they might ask us white people to do. Yesterday, they asked one of us to introduce each person from Mercy Ships. There were about 9 of us. After we had been introduce we then lead the church in two songs of worship. It was so funny. You have to be super flexible when you go to the churches in Liberia. Sometimes they will ask us to give the sermon...no joke. I was originally supposed to go a Liberian Civil War Refugee Camp and gop to church there. But it fell through and we werent able to go. Hopefully next Sunday. Well thats basically what happened this weekend. Oh I had to say goodbye to a friend today, but not really. She'll be back in two weeks. And oh, Im not the only 18 year old anymore. Two more just came on board so Im stoked for that! Well ttfn

7 comments:

Steve Cummings said...

Wesman! You ARE da man! Mom and I are getting such a rush out of reading your new postings and what you're experiencing each day. You are living life to the fullest and discovering what God is doing in other parts of the world. We couldn't be more proud of you. Stay longer if you like -- heck - -stay a whole year if you want! (jk!) We want you home -- when you're ready to come home. ILY! Dad

ayates said...

Wow...Wesley...it sounds like you are continuing to learn about lots of things. God is definitely opening your eyes to many things. It is so wonderful to see your willingness to just go with the flow!!! We continue to pray for you. Thanks for the update. I truly enjoy reading them.
Love, Mrs. Yates

Fran Cummings said...

Hey Wes, dude! I sure have enjoyed reading all the variety of events you have been doing since you've been there! Goodness, what an experience, for an 18 year old, this being in the 21st Century. I'm impressed, and love it! I liked this last message you posted, about how flexible church can be with God's people, in another part of the world. I'm praying for you daily...guess what?.. all our grandchildren are scattered alll over, now with you, half way around the world, and the others, at camp...Chelsey and Patrick are away too, at different camps!!
Can't wait til you are back so we can see pix of everywhere you've been...hope you took some! GOD Bless, til we hear again!LYL! grama Fran

Dick Cummings said...

Wes, It sounds like you are experiencing what it is like being God's man where He wants you to be. By being flexible and going with the flow you will continue to experience His blessing!
Praying for you daily, Papa

Chappy said...

Hi Wes,
I am Chaplain Bible Bob, a friend of your Grandpa Richard & Grandma Fran, and they asked me to keep you in prayer. I have read your blog and prayed for you and I see your folks are proud of you as well as your grand parents. I wish al young adults could go on a missions trip to see how lucky we are here. I have built churches in Mexico and Peru, and Phillipines, ate bugs etc. as the locals do and slept on the ground and worked 14 hour days, so I know what you have been going through on this trip. Sounds like GOD is using you in many ways, I will keep praying that GOD will use you as his tool everyday and will work through you so the local people will see JESUS in you! GOD Bless

Cheri said...

Wes -- Each post seems more exciting than the next! Who would've thought there would be this much adventure. Clearly, God knew what He was doing when He called you to go with Mercy Ships.

I'm with your folks -- stay longer and experience all that God has for you. We want you home, but would never want to stand in the way of how God might use you in Africa (or anywhere else).

On a completely different note...I stood in line at the OC Fair today with Mrs. Whitsell to get a photo & autograph of Reggie Willits (you know, since he's Devin's look alike). We waited for an hour and then he left 'cuz he's starting in center 2nite. The line was going to be another hour and we would've gotten Rex Hudler, Darren O'Day, and Joe Saunders'autographs, but we decided that we'd already done our time in the hot sun and we were really there for Reggie. I wore my Angels jersey & everything and would've gotten it signed. I totally thought of you when we were leaving and that you would've stayed no matter who was left! Love ya -- Mrs. Sains

Jamilyn said...

CAMPBELL GOT HIS LICENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!