Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Indiana Jones

I know Im crazy. Its almost midnight here but Im staying up to watch the MLB All-Star Game. I have to. I hardly get any baseball here. I saw Josh Hamilton rise from hero to legend last night after in blasted 28 home runs into the New York Sky Line during the first round of the Home Run Derby. Anyway, I had the best day today so far since Ive been on the Africa Mercy. The whole day was like Indiana Jones. Filled with off-roading with jeeps, weaving in and out of trees, dodging mud puddles and having to cross really really rickety bridges. And oh, crazy wild savages shooting blow darts with poison on them at us...jk not really. Almost though. So today I went out with Paul Waldron who is one of the key members on the CDS team (when I find out what that stands for Ill let you know). So what he does is go into villages cerca Monrovia and helps the villagers build and teach them to maintain wells. Its fun. Today I helped him pick up some sand in order to make some cement so put around the new well. We did that but then in turned into driving all through the jungle helping villagers with minor tasks, fixing wells, teaching them how to farm effeciently and almost tipping over off a bridge (twice) and into a river 10 ft below. Crazy. For a few seconds I thought I might die. By the way Im not exaggerating this one bit. We left the port around 830 this morning and arrived back at 515. Long day. On our way back to the main road from the jungle we saw (and tried to run over) this massively long snake about 12-15 ft long. We missed. But I think when I saw that I literally thought I was Indy searching for some treasure, lost long ago but an ancient forgotten tribe. Im not done. It rained all last night...terribly hard. It was crazy. I think we're about to get a hurricane soon or something. As we drove through the jungle it rained on and off all day. For a while we thought we might get rained in and have to spend the night. But God showed us a way out and around. We drove through puddles that were easily waist deep on me. It was nuts but such an amazing day. Paul said he had never had such an eventful day in Liberia. It was crazy.
Yesterday I went to the market with a few friends. It was almost as nuts as the jungle. As we entered the market this Liberian started screaming at us, yelling at us about something (I had no idea what it was). For a while I thought it was some selling technique and I was like, ''If this is how the market is going to be, I want to leave now.'' I ended up finding out that he was probably mad because the doctors mightve had to turn away a loved one of his because they were unable to help them. Youd be surprised how much that happens. Anyway, we spent maybe an hour and half in the market. I bought some fabric and Im getting dress shirts made by a local tailor. On the way back to AFM we rode motorcycle taxis. That was fun. There was life 4 of us (2 Americans, 1 Canadien, and a Philipino). We tried to race. At the tailor we went to their was birthday party going on and we were invited to join. That was a blast. The last two days have been incredible. If the rest of the trip goes like this Im going to go loco. #

I promise that all the stories above are 100% true.

21 comments:

Cheri said...

Wes, that is soooooo awesome! It's hard to believe, but I don't think that even you could make that up. What a blast!!!! I'm sure your mom is going to need a new dye job to get rid of all the gray hairs you just gave her. Can't wait to hear more -- but be careful!!!!!

Fran Cummings said...

Hey there Wes...sounds like you've been having "fun" times too, along with the job assignments. WoW...that was a wild ride, and day spent with friends. What a "JOY" ride!
I think everyone has been waiting t hear what you'd write next....well, we sure did! Yes, the All-Star game is on and soo grampa will home to watch it also.
We're still praying for you, and now more so "for your safety"---Yikes!!! Love you, buddy! XOX grama fran

Dick Cummings said...

Wes, Isn't it amazing how exciting life can be when you are willing to be His man where He wants you to be! Your last few days have included more excitement than the average person experiences in a lifetime! The All-Star game is just starting and since you are an Angel fan, I know that you want the American League to win.
Praying for you, Papa

Fran Cummings said...

Hey, Wes..are you watching this All-Star game like we are? As they were introducing all those Hall of Famers, I said to grampa, "look how "old" they all look...he laughed at me and said, "we're getting to look like them too!! Maybe he is , but I'm NOT---tee-hee! Only God will see me in white hair..no one else. That's why I have another hair appointment tomorrow...to color roots! :-)
Bye ..have to watch the game now!! ta-ta! XOX gram

Julia said...

Mrs. Sains is right! I think I'll get that done next week while all my children are gone! Seriously, I'm very proud, but also on my knees!

jill nielsen said...

It seems so funny that you are able to watch the All-Star game there in Liberia with the help of modern technology and yet you are driving on primitive, rickety bridges and dodging 15 foot snakes through the jungle... what a contrast!Enjoy your time there, even though it is hard at times. You're going to have memories that will last a lifetime!

Mrs. Nielsen

Cathy said...

What great stories and adventures. I think my favorite part is "I bought some fabric and Im getting dress shirts made by a local tailor."!!THAT'S THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE HEARD ALL DAY!!

The second funniest is this: When West was supposed to be on his bed reading, he snuck out his window, and into the back yard to spy on me.

Thought you might enjoy that tidbit.

Have a great time!

Cathy1

Jamilyn said...

I cant even think of the words to reply to that story...wes you have us tossing and turning here at home! jeez! You are now called 'OUR INDI' around here now. You are sooooooo dang lucky to have an adventure like that! I believe it!

It sounds tough and its sounds
A-MAZ-ING! Got a couple more weeks to go until we can drive you home from the airport and listen to you download. That will be my favorite part...

UGH! you dont know how jealous i am! But not about the almost dieing part...haha

your loving and now worried sister

MercyShipsGlennP said...

Hey, my friend! Hope you STILL aren't watching the All-Star game!! It's in the 13th inning now, and I am ready to go to bed ... and I'm watching it in the Central Time Zone! Sounds like you are having some real adventures. Oh, and CDS stands for Community Development Services. ha!

Glenn

Fran Cummings said...

Wes, if you're still watching the game...it must be morning...time to get up, if you slept at all...anyway it's 10:00p.m. here in good 'ole So. Calif. score is tied 'n in the 13th inning, 3-3...this is "funny", also! We're wondering if you're still awake....so much for your work assignments, forthcoming.love ya,XO Grammie! :-)

shameeron said...

Wes,
I just read through your blogs since you arrived and I am so excited for you. You are not going to want to come home!! Now who would have thought that you would be buying fabric and having dress shirts made? That just never crossed my mind as part of your journey. Way cool, can't wait to see them. And your Indian Jones adventure was sure quite an adventure! Your parents must be thrilled that you are back on the ship safe and sound!!
Take care and keep seeking the One who sent you on the adventure.

John W said...

Wes ... what a feast of cultural and practical experiences you are having! As for the odors, well ... God not only opens our eyes but all of our senses to the world around us. And you’ve discovered this first hand! I’ll be praying your hard times will become a sweet fragrance as God reveals pearls of His wisdom in each experience, dirty or clean.
My wife Jani and I will continue to pray for safety along with abundant blessings from the One whose work you are doing. Hang in there Wes ...we admire your faithfulness to Christ!
John Williamson

Meredith said...

Wes, you rock!! I can't wait to see pictures of all this stuff. You're taking pictures right?? I'm only sad we'll miss you when we're in CA. Praying for you!
Love,
Meredith

erick said...

Hey wes, Where are the photos dude. I guess you will have to bring home samples for us to see,maybe a snake skin or something. Very proud of you wes,you are a great example of a christ follower. Mr.C

Melissa Brosch said...

I could hear you voice telling that whole story and I LOVED every minute of it. You are ARE Indiana Jones Wes, so don't forget it!

Eric Wakeling said...

That's so awesome to be able to help people fix their own wells and farm efficiently. That's "life and death" stuff right there. I'm stoked you are having a great trip. If you see a guy named Chris Jansen say hi for me.

humanbaseballfreak21 said...

(BIG SIGH OF RELIEF) OH MY GOSH!! if you die im never going to be the same....and im going to be mad if you come home dead haha jk....ill be very upset. but if you dont die and your doing those type of things....THATS THE COOLEST THING EVER!! you are having a trip of your life. hey ive got an idea, ill go next year and you can come too!! haha but thats awesome. im surprised mom didnt come in crying after she read that. she just came in and told me that you almost died and she was calm about it. she also said what i dont no doesnt hurt me. hahaha but i am so upset josh hamilton lost!! and then the NL lost too so i hated this all star break. it was very disappointing. but why did you want to kill a snake?? and mom also told me that you are talking to melissa samsvick???? huh?? what the heck is that all about?? and you must email me or respond to this!!
love ya campbell

Fran Cummings said...

Hi again Wes....before you send another story, I'm going to get my .02 cents in this message blog.
We stayed up til the en to watch the All-Stars, and grampa was sooo mad, that his league, lost...he did say I'm glad that Wes will be happy about it!!! Hey we're all still waiting for pictures...what's the deal? Hope one of your friends can help!You are surely missed at home, by reading Jamilyn, 'n Cam's messages! We're praying for the Holy Spirit to be in your actions, and words of compassion to those less fortunate than you, or any of us. Glad all is going well, so far for you! Until we hear again, keep smiling, even cleaning bad messes! ('n "throw-ups") YUK...:-)
Blessings to you in all you do in the coming days 'n few short weeks. Oh ya....did you see the end of the game?...grampa wante to know1
Ta-Ta for now! grammie

Cathy said...

holy cow! wow thats alot of stuff all packed in one day! like everyone has been saying THAT AN AMAZING ADVENTURE! "that was the best vacation ever!" (the incredibles if you didn't get that) when you come home im sure your going to be a changed person in many ways.
have fun!!
-sarah

bettenfrank said...

Hey Wes,
Toilets, Tales and Tailors....sounds like a good 3-point sermon in there somewhere...or how about a book "Liberian Adventures of Wesley Cummings...with a photo on the cover of the author in one of his classy new shirts! Look out Barnes and Noble...there's a new young writer on the horizon.
We're blessed by how God is using you and for what He is doing in your life. Praying for you and looking forward to more awesome "Moments in Africa"
Frank and Bette Norton

The McKays said...

Wow, I will not let Mr. McKay read this entry or he will be on the next flight to Liberia. It sounds like an episode of Man vs. Wild. What a great experience. I am glad you could watch the All Star events. Josh Hamilton was amazing. Thanks for blogging !!! We are praying for you daily. Sara says Hi !!! Dylan says you are cool, he wasn't sure if you knew that yet. We are all so excited for you !!!! The McKays